For this Motel at KANTIEN, we teamed up with curator Cedric Muyres from Chasing Reels. A genuine ’tap takeover’ of our program at this Motel! Together we share two distinct flicks from the US of A to celebrate the independent film scene.
SATURDAY AUGUST 22
? Thunder Road
Based on the short film with the same title that won no less than thirteen international awards, the film Thunder Road (written, directed and performed by Jim Cummings) makes you cry and laugh at the same time. This touching ‘dramedy’ impresses from the jaw-dropping 10 minutes opening shot, when police officer Arnaud comes to grips with his mom’s death giving a heartfelt eulogy at her funeral. A true gem.
director: Jim Cummings | country: USA | year: 2018
SUNDAY AUGUST 23
? To the Stars
To the Stars is a beautifully shot film set in 1960s Oklahoma. Iris Deerborne’s world changes completely when Maggie appears and an unlikely relationship between the two develops. While spending more time with her, Iris discovers more about the tragedy that caused Maggie to move to Wakita. Meanwhile, Iris has her own coming-of-age arc as she discovers more about herself and the secretive nature of people that surround her. A mesmerizing and almost mystical film. This screening is in black and white.
director: Martha Stephens | country: USA | year: 2019
• Location: KANTIEN, Ravellaan 96, Utrecht
• All films are English subtitled or English spoken.
• Tickets are online available or at the location. Make sure you have your ticket in time.
• Doors open 21:00, start film 21:30.
• Come in time, as KANTIEN has a special program for you in store
before the screening.
• If the weather lets us down, we’ll do our best to find a new date for this screening.